Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 May 2023 14:56:44 GMT by
I left my previous employment in Nov 22, started with new employer Dec 22 but HMRC have put me on a BR tax code which means they think I am working two jobs at the same time when I am only working one, I am being overcharged tax. End date and start date are clearly shown on my gov log in with no overlap. Previous employer has confirmed I was correctly processed as a leaver in Nov 22. I have contacted HMRC about it and they changed my tax code to the normal one for 1 month but it has changed back to the BR code again. Can't get through to HMRC on phone lines it just hangs up on me and I've tried 10 times over the last week. Any ideas why this mistake keeps coming up? Currently overpaying tax for no reason and this is making it hard for me to pay my bills.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 09:38:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

I apologise if the code has reverted, as we should have checked the tax code for 23/24 at the same time as it would have already been generated.

You will need to contact us again to get the code updated - Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:25:18 GMT by uramakr1 Ramakrishnan
I have the same issue. I left my previous job in May 2023 and started with a new employer in June 2023. However HMRC still shows and estimated annual income from both employers and has assigned a tax code of D0 to my current employer. This makes my entire income taxed at 40% which I cannot afford. How do I get this corrected?
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 07:38:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi uramakr1 Ramakrishnan,
Contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
We can provisionally cease the employment that is still incorrectly open, allowing us to update your code and restore at least some of your tax free allowance.
If you have your P45 from the previous employer, we can fully update and close the old employment, and fully restore your tax code, allowing us to issue any repayment due to you through your next wage.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 07:33:02 GMT by alir24
I have the same issue. I left my previous job in June 2023 and started with a new employer in July 2023. However HMRC still shows and estimated annual income from both employers and has assigned a tax code of D0X to my current employer. This makes my entire income taxed at higher income bracket, which I cannot afford and have tried numerous times calling but even after waiting more than an hour couldn’t get through. How do I get this corrected as got P45 as well from previous employer as well? Pls advise.
Posted Sun, 07 Apr 2024 21:07:30 GMT by jbp0624
I have same issue. I can see on my hmrc account that I ended previous employment Oct 2023. Tax year ending 2023/2024, they have deducted me tax even if i did not reach my tax free amount. Now comes New PAYE INCOME TAX and I have 2 tax codes, one for previous employment and the other one for my current one. How can this be recrified? I currently have one employer.
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:25:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi ukceciltse1971 Sungu

I am sorry if you have been unable to amend your tax code. To review/update your tax code you will need to contact HMRC Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 11:54:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi jbp0624,

You will need to contact our Income tax team to review and update your tax code.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.