Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 03:58:12 GMT by Alison Forrest
I have been trying since last August to get an NT code because I live and pay tax in New Zealand. I withdraw an annual pension sum and transfer it from UK to NZ; it is being taxed in the UK too, and - on advice from HMRC - I sent form R43 by post to get a refund and change tax code. I have had no reply after sending two copies of the form R43 and a further letter, but I see my tax code has now been changed to 1257L rather than NT. Why would this be? I cannot telephone as it would cost a fortune from NZ, having to wait up to 50minutes.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:58:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

A form R43 will not give you an NT tax code as this only gives you personal allowances. to be fully exempt, it is a DT individual form that you need.

Double Taxation: Treaty Relief (Form DT-Individual)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 09 May 2024 09:55:07 GMT by Alison Forrest
Thank you, I have sent the DT-Individual form and got the tax code changed. On the same form I requested a refund but I have not received that. Do you know why? Is there anything else I can do?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 11:27:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Alison Forrest

We will be waiting on confirmation of the P60 information to finalise any refund for the previous tax year.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 20:40:09 GMT by Alison Forrest
OK. I have checked that you have the P60 from my pension managers. Any idea how long it will take to be processed?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 13:58:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

We have a large amount of post on hand, which is dealt with in date order. You would need to contact our Income Tax team to progress chase your repayment claim.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 17:14:13 GMT by CATHYANN
We have this same problem. Live in the Isle of Man, withdrawn a portion of a UK personal pension paid emergency tax on it to the UK HMRC (Dec2023) we instantly applied for DT and was awarded it and have confirmation. My husband tax code has been changed twice but still no refund. Until we receive the refund we cannot complete our tax return in the IOM. Fact is my husband works 6 days a week 3am til 12 midday. By which time he needs to sleep. Appalling there is no email address, for those living overseas, or even an interactive website. I just keep getting told if you are due a refund you will receive it, and that evidence is being collected between Apr/May and a refund will be paid soon. But that simply isn't good enough. Time we had some answers. And according to the inane rules I cannot ring you up because you won't speak to me because of confidentiality. And yet in the IOM because of joint liability I can ring up anytime and discuss tax.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2024 05:17:07 GMT by Alison Forrest
I agree. I can't believe there is no email or online contact. I can't ring from NZ, and my letters usually go unanswered.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2024 07:50:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Alison,
You can contact us on webchat - Self Assessment tax returns and click on ask digital assistant.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2024 08:47:29 GMT by Alison Forrest
Ask digital assistant only answers a few stock questions. Nothing specific.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 10:37:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You ca byass the robot by asking for an advisor and you will get through to a person.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2024 01:39:53 GMT by Alison Forrest
That's good, but I can't see where to ask for an advisor on the answers page. Can you tell me how?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 11:15:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Alison,
Instead of asking a question put in speak to an advisor.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.