Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:04:20 GMT by Patrick Harrison
I started work in June and have been working ever since, albeit I got a new job at the start of November. I have obviously been paying taxes since I started work after graduating from university. I received a letter saying that I had a tax free amount of 'x' , and I have been paying my income and national insurance taxes since I have been in employment. With my former job I only slightly earned more than my tax free amount for that job and in my second job I still feel under my tax free amount completely. Will I be due back some of the tax I paid earlier in the year and if so what would I have to do to be able to retrieve this money?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 06:40:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Harrison1969,
Any tax rebate due will automatcially be calculated and issued following the end of this 23/24 tax year, after the 6th of April 2024.
If you would like us to confirm if you have overpaid tax, just contact us by webchat or post here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 20:09:21 GMT by Patrick Harrison
I have used the webchat service and it is told me that 'You do not need to do anything. Your Income Tax will be adjusted automatically throughout the year'. Does this mean that the money I have overpaid will just be taken off my upcoming monthly payments in the future or have I misunderstood?
Posted Mon, 01 Apr 2024 10:29:31 GMT by mlm4072 3725
Money you have overpaid will not be taken off upcoming payments. You should be refunded for any overpayment in a previous tax year.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 19:12:53 GMT by Patrick Harrison
Oh ok thanks for letting me know. Will I be refunded the overpaid tax in full at some point, by cheque maybe or something like that? And if so when should I expect this?
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:57:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Patrick Harrison,
We would need to check your record to confirm this.
You can contact HMRC here:
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 09:38:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If your tax code was amended then any refund due will come back through your wages. If the tax year has finished then once HMRC receive your PAYE details we will review and if overpaid you will receive a calculation with detials of how to claim refund. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 11:02:27 GMT by Firas Ben Amer
Hi. I've overpaid tax for last financial year 2023-2024 and was wondering when Will I receive my refund ? My total earnings for the year are : £15,986. The tax I've paid so far is a total of £1,163.6 and national insurance: £623.23 According to my calculations I should have only paid £683 income tax and £393 national insurance. This means I'm due REFUND of a total of £480.6 income tax and £230.23 national insurance.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 06:57:00 GMT by katyblaze01
Hi please can someone help me For the last year I have been on a 709 tax code on my wage slip yet when I log into my account it shows 1275l I have been paying tax every month even though I earn under the yearly threshold I have called a number of time tried the online chat contacted my patrol company and nothing I don’t even tho how or way my tax code changed I have been in the same job for 10 year
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 11:20:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Firas Ben Amer,
If you complete a Self Assessment tax return then any tax refund due would be calculated when you submit your tax return. If you are not in Self Assessment then when HMRC receives your PAYE income your record will be reviewed and if overpaid a calculation will be issued to you. 
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 09:05:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi katyblaze01,
If you were on the wrong tax code for the 2023/24 tax year then once HMRC receive confirmation of the PAYE income we will review your record and if overpaid a calculation will be issued to you.
If you are still on the wrong code for the current 2024/25 tax year then you will need to contact HMRC to review:
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.