Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:39:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kuldeep Singh,
For assistance you will need to contact the online helpdesk. 
Contact details here:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:29:40 GMT by Jacko
Hi, my name, date of birth, NI number does not match hmrc records. I’m near state pension age and had the same name, date of birth and NI number for ever. Why doesn’t hmrc recognise me?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:08:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi M8 SN,
Contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries- We can then confirm if any overpayment is due for the years specified, and issue this out to you if you are unable to claim online.
For problems with verifying your identity, your log in details or receiving access codes, click on the ‘Get help’ or ‘Is there anything wrong with this page’ link at the bottom of the page in the online service you’re using, or contact our Online Services here:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 10:14:40 GMT by Phil-S
I’ve been helping a friend to set up a personal tax account to see the reason for why HMRC thinks they need to pay a small amount of tax through PAYE. The letter informing them of this plus the new tax code does not give enough information and hopefully by accessing the account it might be possible to work out the reason. They were able to get a Gov Gateway ID, but anything more required the use of the verification process. They entered the driving licence information and then went onto the random questions. On the first time of trying, they got the question "when did you last take out or renew a personal mobile phone contract?" This might be not the exact wording, but I had the same question some years ago and had a lot of trouble with it. They entered what they thought was the correct answer but it failed verification. On another attempt, the contract question wasn't there and they passed verification. As I recall, when I had trouble with Gov Verify, there wasn't an opportunity to try with different questions. Eventually, one of the digital managers went through the questions with me and confirmed that the process was failing at the phone contract question. I had taken out what I thought was a new phone contract in 2018 with BT. Eventually out of frustration, I entered that I had never taken out a mobile phone contract which turned out to be the correct answer. So either the information held by the credit rating agency was wrong or paying BT monthly direct debit payments for a SIM only arrangement was not a contract. Unlike many other random question security systems, HMRC does not allow the user to choose questions that they know the answer to. Instead, the HMRC system asks questions that someone thinks the user might reasonably know the answer to. Some of those questions can be many years old. What I would like to know is what in HMRCs terms is the definition of a mobile phone contract and if this type of question is going to arise, wouldn't it be more helpful if there was an attached piece of information of what is required? i.e. in this case, what defines a mobile phone contract? If my user had failed again, what would their options have been? A final question In the verification process there are two parts, the driving licence or P60? Part and the random questions. If the user failed at the initial DL or P60 stage, would there be an indication that that stage had failed or would they be allowed to proceed to the random question stage and not know where it might have failed?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:50:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Georgeopara

If you are unable to verify your identity onine then you will need to contact HMRC to review the refund Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Sat, 04 May 2024 11:05:08 GMT by Jacques Wright
Hi, im trying to incorporate a company but don't have a passport or driving license. I do have pass citizen id. Why is this not accepted if it is a government approved form of id??? Is there a way to resove this so I can move forward and create my company. Is it going to cost me more? Is there a helpline I can call? If so can you tell me the number? Thanks 

Name removed admin 
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 10:52:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Jacko,
While it might be that the NI number you've been using is incorrect, there are other possibilities. To allow us to confirm your record and resolve this for you, contact us by webchat or phone viaIncome Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 11:08:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Phil-S,
For assistance you will need to contact the online helpdesk Technical support with HMRC online services.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 22:18:48 GMT by John Tulloch
I am trying to help an elderly friend (92) whose husband has recently died. She has received a Notice of Coding to advise that she owes £275 from a prior year. She has not completed a return for many years - her only income is a state pension of less than £6000 and interest below £1000. The coding says to visit HMRC but whilst the NI number is available I cannot see that she has ever registered for the Gov Gateway and I cannot trace a UTR. She has no verifiable ID such as a passport or driving licence. What can she do to get access to the information that HRMC are using to suggest underpaid tax?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.