Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 Mar 2023 15:41:01 GMT by
Hello, all. I need to start paying Class 2 voluntary contributions, I've seen my personal record and now I need to begin the process of paying. Unfortunately, I need a payment reference number which I don't have and I've tried phoning, but with the deadline approaching this June the lines are swamped. Is there another method to pay Class 2 contributions? The website did mention a method sending it in via checque? Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 22:24:36 GMT by
Could really do with some help on this issue? I don't particularly fancy waiting on the phone for hours.
Posted Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:47:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You have asked about paying voluntary Class 2 National Insurance contributions. Class 2 National Insurance contributions are paid by a person who is self employed. If you are self employed, you would pay these contributions through your Self Assessment. If you are self employed and need to register your self employment with HMRC you can use the link here:

Register for Self Assessment

If you are not self employed in the UK and you are enquiring about paying voluntary National Insurance contributions, it would be voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions that you would pay, not Class 2. Please see the following link on how to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions, this includes information on how to pay by cheque.

Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance

If you are abroad you may be able to pay either Class 2 or Class 3 National Insurance contributions. See the following link for further information, and how to apply to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst abroad:

Social Security abroad: NI38

Please note, before deciding to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, you must contact the Department Of Work and Pensions to confirm that paying voluntary National Insurance contributions will increase your pension. If you do not, and your pension does not increase after paying them, you will not automatically be entitled to a refund. Their contact details arebelow: 

0800 731 0175 for customers under state pension age.
0800 731 0469 for customers over state pension age.
+44 (0) 191 218 7777 for all customers living outside of the UK.

Thank you.

Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:16:01 GMT by
I live abroad and my CF83 application to pay voluntary Class 2 NICs has just been approved. I have been in touch with DWP and I know which years to pay. I want to make a one-time payment to top-up several years that I missed while working overseas. Please confirm that I do NOT need 18-digit reference numbers to attach to my Class 2 payment.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:18:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi IslandGirl,
When an individual is overseas and wishes to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, the 18 Digit to use when sending a bank transfer to us is:  use your National Insurance number followed by IC, your surname and initial.
If you don’t have room for your full surname or initial then use as much of your surname as possible.  
So for example you would use:  QQ123456AICSURNAMEINITIAL
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:44:02 GMT by Keith
Hi HMRC: What should we do if the rule you outline above to create the bank transfer "18 Digit" only results in a 17 Digit number? For example, a JOHN SMITH would be QQ123456AICSMITHJ which is 17 digits. Is 18 Digits a requirement? If so, where should the 18th digit come from in this example (would it be the second letter of the first name...or maybe the initial of a middle name)? Cheers.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:22:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Keith,
There are special rules for customers that live or work overseas who wish to pay their voluntary National Insurance contributions.  
We refer to the 18 Digit Reference Number but for overseas customers it’s not always 18 digits long – it can’t be longer than 18 digits but it can be shorter.  
So your example of 17 digits is fine.
Thank you.

Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:06:36 GMT by Keith
Perfect! Thanks for the reply.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 05:12:27 GMT by Brummie Slade
Hi, I've been approved to pay voluntary class 2 contributions while living and working abroad. I sent a cheque with my national insurance number on the back and a covering letter as advised by the future pension person I contacted. This was just over 4 weeks ago but the cheque has not been cashed yet. Allowing a couple of weeks for you to receive the cheque how long should I expect for this to be processed and cashed. Thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 14:02:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Brummie Slade,
If you could call the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 2003500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas) then they will be able to trace for your payment and arrange for it to be allocated to your National Insurance account.  
Please have details of your cheque handy when you call as they will ask for them.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.