Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:38:26 GMT by njc23
If I were to move abroad and all my tax is up-to-date. Would I still need to inform HMRC and if so how should I do it once I am abroad? I may not know precisely when a move if and when I choose to go, so it's rather confusing how I would advise HMRC when the time arises.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:11:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi njc23,

You can do this with a P85 - Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 10:12:32 GMT by njc23
Thank you your reply. I usually do a tax return as I am director. However by the time I leave I will not have been and will not have any further tax liabilities as I will be moving in a future tax year. On this basis, would you kindly confirm that a p85 would suffice. Also, if I am abroad how would I inform the tax man as I will not know the exact dates I leave and may not be enough time to inform HMRC prior to me leaving. I await your response
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 13:19:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

A P85 should be used to inform HMRC that you are leaving the United Kingdom.

Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK

There is a self assessment criteria tool, which will help you work out if a tax return is required. If a tax return is not required, you will need to contact HMRC to advise them of this. This will prevent future tax returns being issued.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 09 Jul 2023 10:56:56 GMT by njc23
Hello there, Would I do a P85 as soon as I know I am leaving ? or shall I wait when I have definitely left. If so sending the form abroad may be tricky. Please advise the most sensible approach.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:59:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi njc23,

You would need to wait until you have your P45 and that your travel arrangements are confirmed so that you know you are definately leaving.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.