Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 07:35:44 GMT by kam2001
I've bought a letting out property in UK last year. Tried to do Self assessment online but failed as cannot pass the identity verification (no UK postal codes available). Can I submit paper form instead? Please advise which form I should use ? or any other way I can do to complete this self assessment. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 06:04:29 GMT by DomZee
You can't use any HMRC online services if you're not the owner of a UK passport or UK driving licence. You have to do everything "old school" by printing forms and sending them to HMRC. To register for self-assessment, you have to fill out Form SA1. You can find it here (2nd link, fill in, print, and post): On the form, tick "receive income from land and property in the UK" as a reason to register. I hope that helps.
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 07:23:58 GMT by JohhnyForeigner
You have to send a paper form, SA100 and SA105 can't submit electronically. Reading elsewhere now that you can't download the SA100 from this year, have to call up and request one which is utter madness!
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 05:25:00 GMT by kam2001
Thanks a lot for the advice given by Domzee and JohhnyForeigner.
Posted Mon, 15 May 2023 08:56:58 GMT by kam2001
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Mon, 15 May 2023 14:41:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi kam2001,

A paper tax return can be found here:

Self Assessment tax return forms

You will need SA100 and SA105, property, plus any other relevant supplementary page, such as SA102 employment or SA109, residence. 

Please note that the deadline date for submitting a paper tax return is 31 October each year. Penalties and interest will be imposed for late submission.


Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 15:24:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi kam2001

You are correct, however you will also need to complete an SA109 if you are non-resident.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.