Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:21:06 GMT by CB10 James
Hi, I ceased operating as a self employed sole trader in the UK in 2014, at which point I completed my final tax return which was paid, and notified HMRC of my intention to cease trading. I was then employed on PAYE for a year before retiring to New Zealand. Recently, 8 YEARS ON, I have received a penalty notice from hmrc for not filing SA for the the years since 2014. I wrote to them explaining the above and they are saying I still need to send in SA for those years. Can anyone please advise me. This is causing me immense stress. Regards, CB10.
Posted Thu, 22 Sep 2022 08:49:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If the record was not closed at the time, we are not able to cancel returns which are more than 2 years from the end of that tax year. That is why we will request that you complete the returns.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.