Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 02 Jul 2023 11:30:40 GMT by Charles David Hume
I had RSU's vest in March 2023, my employer is a subsidiary in the UK but the parent company is in the US and the shares were in dollars. It was all handled through payroll and I paid tax PAYE. I assume as this is included in my P60 I don't need to enter these details anywhere on the self assessment as it's part of my income and tax paid figures already? In addition, I sold the stock in the same month from my net benefits US account at a loss. The value dropped from when they had vested a few weeks earlier. Should I fill in a capital gains worksheet in my self assessment to register this loss, or does it go in the "foreign income" sectino as a loss?
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 10:38:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Charles David Hume,

As the payment is from your employer, the income should be shown in the employment section if it is included in your P60.
You would then claim credit for the Tax in the foreign section under 'Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on'.
If it's not included in your P60, please include it on the box on the employment page for 'Tips and other payments not included on your P60'.
 ERSM20193 advises that when RSUs payout at the market value on what is called ""dividend equivalents"" in either cash or shares, such payments will generally be taxed as earnings in the year they are received.                                                                                                                                                                                  
For Capital Gains - sell the shares immediately upon vesting. This ensures that there is no gain to tax. If you still want to hold the shares, you could buy them back in a stocks and shares ISA. This ensures that any future growth is tax-free (although you may still pay withholding taxes, particularly if the shares are held in a US company).
If you hold the shares within a SIPP, any future growth is tax-free and no withholding tax will apply (assuming that your pension administrator has set it up correctly!).

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 16 Jul 2023 11:17:58 GMT by Charles David Hume
Thankyou. I've filled in the foreign - employment, self employment and other income. I had the rsu gross pay, and rsu deduction on the same pay slip in GBP, so I just put those two figures in as the Taxable amount and the foreign tax paid respectively. With respect to capital gains. I did sell as soon as i was able to, but the lag in the system meant the value of the RSU's had decreased by 8%. I made a loss upon selling them compared to the value when they vested, which is the value I paid tax on through payroll. Can you give me more detail on what to do with this please? Do I report a capital loss in the foreign secion & fill in the "Listed shares and securities" section to do this? All the boxes in this section are (optional)?
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:06:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Charles David Hume

That is correct.  You can report the loss on SA108 and carry it forward to set against any future gains.

Thank you


You must be signed in to post in this forum.