Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 01 Jul 2023 14:40:55 GMT by Daniel Pedley
Hi, I am employed and self-employed and employed. I was asked to complete a personal tax return which I have done, but I can not find anywhere to claim back my business expenses as I have made no income from my self-employment and can't see anywhere on HMRC where I can complete a business tax return.
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 15:36:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If your self employed expenses exceed your self employed income, you can claim loss relief to carry forward and set off against future profits.
Guidance on how to calculate (and claim)  (a) self employed expenses and (b) self employed loss relief are provided here:  
Expenses if you're self-employed and
HS227 Losses (2020)

Thank you
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 09:22:12 GMT by Daniel Pedley
Thank you for the reply, but I was wanting to know if my self-employed losses could be set against my employed income rather than carry it forward to the next financial year?
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:54:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
On SA103S os box 33  Loss from this tax year set off against other income for 2022–23.  
On SA103F, you would enter the figure in box 78.
The online return will have a box named ""Loss from this tax year set off against other income for 2022–23"".

You must be signed in to post in this forum.