Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:48:52 GMT by Margaret Carney
I am completing my 2021/22 self assessment. I have self employed income. In 2020/21 I made a small loss. I am trying to enter this in box 34 “Loss brought forward from earlier years set-off against 2021-22 profits”. The form keeps giving me an error message saying to check the help and review the figure. I do this but it keeps rejecting the figure. What am I doing wrong?
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:50:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

After you have entered a figure in box 34 (online self assessment return) and click on save and continue, you will receive a warning message, as opposed to an error message. 

The warning is advisory only.  

It is advising you that your have entered figures in box 34, as a loss carried forward from an earlier year. 

The message wants you to check you have entered the correct figure in the correct box, before clicking on save and continue again. 

You will then be able to move to the next section of the tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 15 Aug 2022 14:46:00 GMT by Margaret Carney
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes I have done this but when I move forward it does not take account of it in my summary Box 43 and it states warning on the “check return” sheet. It just appears it will not save this entry.
Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:05:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Once you enter the figure for losses, click on the save and continue box and this is when the warning message appears.

Click save again and it will move on .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Aug 2022 14:06:21 GMT by Margaret Carney
Hi I have done this action numerous times and as previously stated although it does move on it is not recognised in my summary profit page and the warning message still appears on “check my return”. I am thinking there must be a bug in the form. Could this be checked out please?
Posted Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:11:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

It might be worth deleting the section and starting again. If that does not work, please click on the 'get help with this page' to report the issue.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.