Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2024 10:51:45 GMT by ML000165
Hello - this last tax year I completed a self assessment tax return by mistake when I didn't need to and have now received a tax penalty charge which is to be paid by 18 April. I paid all the tax owing according to my simple tax assessment calculation on 31 January. My 'Check how much tax you paid' webpage, for tax year 6 Apr 22 to 5 Apr 23 states 'You do not owe any more tax. You have no more payments to make to HMRC.'. All my income is PAYE and is covered in my 'simple assessment tax calculation' - I did not need to complete a self assessment tax return. How can I fix this situation and get the penalty charge cancelled? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 09:52:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi ML000165,
You will need to contact HMRC to review this for you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 16:35:52 GMT by baerskimmason Mason
I have this exact same problem for the year 2022_2023, although my duplication was triggered by the fact HMRC originally thought I needed to complete a Self Assessment, but we then agreed I no longer needed to as had stopped being self-employed etc. I have written to HMRC twice and tried phoning to sort it out, but with no luck getting through again, including today. I call of 1hr 6 mins to get to the wrong dept and two cut-off calls. Still on hold now... Please, admin, any other contact method suggestions?
Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 07:26:51 GMT by Tom14
Pls can u help me with my tax return
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:28:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi  baerskimmason

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues contacting us. In addition to phoning us, you can contact us by webchat - just click 'Ask HMRC Online' at Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:14:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Tom14

Of course! For any advice on completing your return, contact us by webchat or post via Self Assessment: general enquiries- depending on the circumstances, we may also be able to offer addittional assistance to help you complete your return, too.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.