Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 08 Oct 2022 08:24:15 GMT by mkcchan
Hello, I have requested for a UTR number for self-assessment because I think I have overseas income in year 2021/2022 need to be reported. However, I find out I am not a tax resident after doing the statutory residences test. Do I need to inform HMRC that I am NOT going to file a self-assessment for year 2021/2022 because of above reason? Pls comment. Thanks
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:37:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mkcchan,

If you have regisetered for Self Assessment, then a SA record will be created, including a 10 digit UTR and a request to issue a tax return notification will be set.  
If self assessment is not appropriate, you will need to contact the SA helpline 0300 200 3310 to advise of this.
If we can agree that a tax return is not necessary, we can arrange to have it withdrawn and your record made dormant.  
Failure to notify HMRC of this may result in the tax return being issued, at which time you would need to complete it and failure to submit the return on time would then result in penalites and interest charges being applied.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.