Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:00:00 GMT by chris
Hi, During the previous tax year I finished paying off my student loan in January 2020. Filling in my online return I selected Yes to: "our records show that you have an Income Contingent Student Loan for which repayment began before 6 April 2021. Is this correct?" As I did and made payments during most of the tax year. The student loans repayment section has the correct total I've paid up till January when the loan was full repaid (it matches my p60). In the calculation the system has an item for student loan repayments and is charging me what looks like the value of the last two months of the tax year. I can't see any way to tell the system when my loan was repaid so that it will stop trying to overcharge me. how do I indicate the loan is repaid in full and I own no more payments?
Posted Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:51:58 GMT by chris
oh sigh, this is going to get complicated isn't it. I can see that the balance on my student loan (on the gov.uk site) is -£1. I did overpay and organised a refund back in 2020 but apparently SLC found another pound down the back of a sofa after that refund. I have a prediction, the self assessment logic only checks if a balance exists not whether its positive so the system thinks I have an outstanding student loan regardless of the fact the balance is actually in my favour. I'll try and get SLC to clear the balance but I bet this means the HRMC self assessment system will think I owe loan repayments all the way up until the account closes (now) so this will mess up this tax year as well when I come to do it.
Posted Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:27:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 24
Hi,

At the beginning of filing your return, you may be able to say no to having a student loan.

If it lets you, then enter that you had finished paying it off.

If it does not let you, wait 72 hours after submitting the return and call our Self Assessment helpline.

We can then transfer you to our Student Loans Unit who can review the calculation.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 02 Jan 2023 17:22:07 GMT by Jmiles Miles
I have the same issue, I repaid ~5k this year through PAYE and then a one off payment to clear the balance (although £1.50 remains). If I select no student loan it shows my tax payments under by £5k this year, but if I input the amount I paid (which cleared the balance) it shows that I owe more than £10k (as it calculates for the whole year) What should be the correct course of action here?
Posted Thu, 05 Jan 2023 13:47:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Please submit the return with your deductions included and contact us after 72 hours. We can then pass you to our Student Loans Unit who can review the calculation.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.