Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Feb 2023 07:03:47 GMT by
Morning, I am from Hong Kong via BNO VISA (to stay and to work for 5 years). My VISA status is not allowed to get public funds. However, may I know if I can apply Marriage Allowance so that my wife can transfer part of her personal tax allowance to me? This is because I am thinking that it is not listed on one of the public funds. Please kindly advise. Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:27:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Yes your wife can submit a claim, provided your income is not subject to higher rate tax and your wife does not use all of her personal allownce.  

Please have a look at the guidance at Marriage Allowance.  

Please note that it would need to be your wife who makes the claim, as she has to agree to transfer the allowance to you.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 16:08:16 GMT by
Hi, Greetings of the day, am currently on a Skilled worker Visa, and my wife is also with me here in UK as a dependent and not working. and am on currently £57600 Annual package, me or my spouse is eligible to apply for Marriage allowance ? requesting your guidance @HMRC Admin 5
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:16:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

No. You are a higher rate taxpayer and do not meet the criteria.

Marriage Allowance

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:55:45 GMT by
Hi, I am eligible for marriage allowance because my wife is not working. and i apply for marriage allowance through my HMRC account. Is That correct? or we need to apply with my wife account? Please guide! Thank you in Advance.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 14:15:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi zainamjad23354

It is your wife who needs to make the application - Marriage Allowance

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.