Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:23:22 GMT by echow
Hello. I came to the UK last year and then became a tax resident. I don't have any UK incomes but foreign incomes/gains, so I tried to do a self assessment registration. But your system reported that the information I gave did not match your records. What the information I gave are my name, DOB, NI (which I don't have) and postcode. I don't think there is any inconsistancy. Would you please advise how I can register? Cheers.
Posted Fri, 25 Aug 2023 14:54:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi echow,
If your form is being rejected please complete the fill in, print and post form:
Fill in, print and post the form
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 09:03:14 GMT by echow
Hello. As per your advice, I filled in the form, namely, "Registering for self assessment and getting a tax return" and posted it on 30 Aug 2023. However, I have not yet received any reply from HMRC and the deadline of self notification of 5 Oct is close. Would you please advise what I should do? Cheers.
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:40:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi echow,

You would need to contact HMRC to check on the progress. Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:21:41 GMT by echow
Hello. I finally got the UTR. However, when I signed in to file the self assessment return, I was forwarded to my personal tax account and only got messages: "Your income tax has not been calculated yet for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023" & "There is no need for you to contact HMRC about this". In my case, I don't have any employment income but foreign saving/gains more than GBP2000. To my understanding, I need to report it in the self assessment return even though such the money are not remitted to the UK. So, would you please advise how I could file the return? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:56:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi echow

As you are claiming the remittance basis, you need to do this via the residence section of the tax return and therefore still need to file.
You cannot use HMRC software to do this and will need to send in a paper form or buy 3rd party software - Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

Thank you
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 12:34:47 GMT by echow
Hello. As per your advice, I used the 3rd party software to file my self assessment return. However, when I tried to submit it , there was a credential error. The [admin removed product name] suggested me to activate the self assessment services on the HMRC website. I did it but the result was same as my last thread: "Your income tax has not been calculated yet for 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023" & "There is no need for you to contact HMRC about this". So, would you please advise me how to solve it? Besides, upon completion of my return, the tax payable was automatically calculated. However, I elected the remittance basis and no foreign incomes were remitted for 2022-23. To my understanding, I need not pay any taxes. So, should I ignore the tax payable? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:34:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi echow,
You would need to contact my colleagues on the online helpdesk for assistance. Technical support with HMRC online services.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.