Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:30:59 GMT by Joyyl L
Hello, I am going to relocate in the UK from Hong Kong in Aug on BNO visa, and I have a few questions to ask: 1. I have been working at Hong Kong till Jun 2022, do I need to register for self-assessment and file my self-assessment as an overseas income? 2. If I assume my overseas and local saving interests from the banks will be lower than GBP 10, do I still need to file it as a self-assessment or via PAYE? Thanks!
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 09:45:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

On the basis of the information you have provided, your circumstances may meet the criteria for Split Year Treatment.(SRT).

Please refer to the following guidance:   

Residence, Domicile and Remittance Basis Manual   and    :                                               

Residence, remittance basis etc notes .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:23:21 GMT by Joyyl L
Thanks for your reply, and I would like to ask some follow-up questions. To be more specific, I will move to the UK on Aug 2022 and my job at Hong Kong has terminated on Jun 2022. During Jul 2022 and Aug 2022, I have received no income. In accordance to your reply, I should register for self-assessment in the 2021 to 2022 after my arrival? So my spilt year treatment will be met on the year of 2021-2022 or 2022 to 2023? Thanks !
Posted Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:55:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Your split year will be 2022-23 if you only arrive in August 2022.
Posted Fri, 09 Sep 2022 15:40:12 GMT by Joyyl L
Thanks for your reply. I would like to confirm that I will need to do a self-assessment on next year (2022-2023) instead? Even I have a very few interests (Less than gbp 10) earned from the bank throughout this year. Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:34:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Given that you are in receipt of foreign income (ie bank interest), please note that you are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return      
 (2021-2022) .

Thank you.                                                

You must be signed in to post in this forum.