Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 05:14:08 GMT by CraigTBKK
Looking to see if anyone has any advice. I left the UK in 2019 and live permanently abroad now. I was back for 4 weeks in 2021 to visit family and renew my passport but that's been my only visit since i moved away. I have rented out my property since March 2021 which amounts to around £8500 per annum. That is my only source of income from the UK. I've just noticed that I've been asked to fill in a self-assessment for 2020-2021 (which is obviously now late) and again for 2021-2022. I thought being a non UK resident and having filled in my NRL1 form i wouldn't need to fill in a self-assessment. Is that right? When i do start the self-assessment it asks for my Taxpayer Residency Status - England, Scotland or Wales but I presume I wouldn't be any of them. Can anyone help me out here? Struggling to get through to HRMC by phone as im currently working in the middle of the desert in the Middle East. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 26 May 2022 08:21:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi CraigTBKK,

If you have UK income from property then you need to report this to the UK.
The NRL1 form prevents any tax being deducted at source:
Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
As a non resident you will not be able to file online using HMRC software as this does not support the non residency section of the return.
You will need to either complete a paper copy of the return or use third party software:
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.