Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:44:21 GMT by
I am currently looking at being employed as freelance worker but may also take on work that is contracted and paid through an employer. How do I register as being asked for a UTR number for the freelance work.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 09:21:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi 2020Lotus,

Please refer to Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:54:05 GMT by boogie
Hi. I'm asking on behalf of my wife. She works as an employee and self-employed. She receives mileage from regular work, but they do not pay the full amount se we need to setup Self Assessment account to reclaim the difference. For her self-employed work she also does mileage and we need to claim these as expenses. Can she do both from same self assessment account, and how?
Posted Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:40:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Yes. When filing in the return, she will need to tailor the return to show that she has both PAYE and Self Employment income. The sources of income and expenses will be claimed under the relevant source.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:52:54 GMT by vimps vimpany
Hi My wife is employed and self employed, on the self assesment under the paye section it asks if she has received any extra work benefits, which she has £1000 in private health insurance. Why do i need to report this on the self assessment, wouldnt the company accountant have reported this bonus to hmrc already? How else would this extra income have been reported if she wasnt filing a self assessment?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:55:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

The tax return is a declaration of all your taxable income to ensure the correct tax is paid and she needs to declare the PAYE income along with her self employment. If only employed PAYE, then all tax would be collected throughout the year based on the tax code.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 May 2024 11:00:51 GMT by Dan Tubb
Hello, Is it actually worth taking on a worthy role in my spare time. Im a higher tax payer and looking to do Medic responder job in spare time. I have been on the calculator and it seems if i earn 6000 in one year i will take home about 1800! Although the job is worthy and eventually I will switch over to do it full time it does not seem worth it. And NI contributios? I am fully paid up, anx do not require any state help in the future other than what i have rightfully fully accrued. 

Name removed admin 
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 11:08:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
HMRC cannot advise you on whether to take this on or not as this relates to financial advise which we are not authorised to give.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.