Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 04 Dec 2022 23:28:11 GMT by Ed Rio
Hello Previous tax year return I had to provide a payment on account which I paid as due. However the current tax year my income was so low that my previous payment on account means Ive overpaid tax. Do I need to fill in such details to notify hmrc or will they know automatically when I submit the tax return and will automatically generate a tax refund. If I need to inform hmrc that I've over paid due to the payment on account which section would I need to fill in the self assessment. I prefer it to keep it simple just have refund into my bank account rather than trying to reduce tax the following year.
Posted Tue, 06 Dec 2022 14:05:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

When you have submitted the tax return, the account will update within 72 hours to show that you have overpaid
and you can claim the refund.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.