Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 09 Oct 2022 01:02:18 GMT by YY Lee
Hi! I have registered for self-assessment as not self-employed. I am a Director and Shareholder of a Hong Kong incorporated company and at the same time employed by this company as Sales Manager. I do not received any Director fee and dividend from 6th Apr 2021 to 5th Apr 2022. I arrived UK on 25th May 2022 and rent a house starting on 25th May 2022. Am I wrong or registered as not self-employed for self assessment? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 15:25:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Yin Yin Lee,

Self-assessment is a way of reporting your income and paying tax to HM Revenue and Customs. Self employment is only a part of Self Assessment.  
You will need to review the statutory residence tests to determine if you are taxable in the UK for the full tax year.
If you are, then you would need to declare all of your foreign income on a self assessment tax return, including any foreign tax paid.  
If you are deemed not resident for tax purposes for the full tax year, you would claim split year treatment and declare only that income arising from the date you arrived in the UK.  
The statutory test can be found at RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.