Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 30 May 2022 04:58:26 GMT by HK questions
Dear Sir/Madam, My family will move to the UK under BNO visa in early July 2022. It is understood that we will be tax resident for 2022-23. I would like to confirm that there is NO NEED to declare the following items via Self-Assessment: 1) Listed shares to be sold in June 2022 while we are in Hong Kong 2) Monthly pension received from HK government (given the UK-HK DTA) Thank you,
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 10:24:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You do not need to declare the income received prior to your arrival in the UK.

If you are claiming tax resident status for 22/23 and you are continuing to receive a monthly pension from Hong Kong,
you will still need to declare this to the UK. You can claim foreign tax credit relief if tax is already paid in Hong Kong.

If you want to claim the remittance basis then you dont declare the Hong Kong Income.

please refer to the SA109(NOTES)on  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 13:59:58 GMT by HK questions
Hi, many thanks for your reply. Just want to clarify further. Do I need to fulfill the conditions under split year treatment so that I don't need to declare the gains from selling the shares before arrival.
Posted Wed, 01 Jun 2022 12:01:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

If in a year in which you are UK resident, there is an actual or deemed arrival in the UK, then you will need to consider whether any of the split year cases 4-8 apply.

You must consider all cases of split year that might apply to you. Each has its own set of conditions and you need to meet all of those conditions for the case to apply. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.