Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 May 2022 16:13:41 GMT by Emma01204
Hello, I registered for self assessment two years ago because I had spent some of the year working for a business based in another country and so had to file my own tax. When I registered, I received a UTR number and a government gateway ID. In April 2022, I began working in a freelance capacity for a company in the UK, which requires me to be registered as self-employed. I wasn't sure whether I was already registered as self employed or not, and so I called HMRC. The person I spoke with on the phone told me that he had registered me as self employed and that I would receive another UTR number by post. I called on 11th April but have not yet received anything by post. I wanted to check if there is any way that I can check on my online account whether I am currently registered as self-employed or not? I am planning on applying for maternity allowance in a couple of months and so I want to check to be sure that I have been registered and will be eligible for it. I have noticed on my online account that I can see both a personal tax account and a business tax account. Does this mean that I am registered as self-employed? Thank you
Posted Fri, 13 May 2022 08:49:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Emma01204,

If you were not registered as Self-Employed, we would put through a registration on our system.
A new UTR would not be issued unless there was an issue with your current one.
It would not show on the online account if you are registered for Self-Employment.
The Self-Assessment account details are held under the business tax account, and any PAYE details for employments would be under the personal tax account.
I would check with our Self Assessment helpine to see if the Self-Employment registration has gone through.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.