Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:40:57 GMT by John Farrell
Hi, so if I transfer shares from a normal stocks/shares account into my stocks/shares ISA and transfer within my annual limit. As they are not sold (no value realised) I guess I don’t have a CGT liability even if they have gone up in value since purchased? Or is there a CGT liability? Please can you explain how this should be approached. Thanks for your help.
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 15:22:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Farrell,
No gain will arise as you are just transferring them.
You would need to speak to your ISA provider regardig the transfer.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 16:34:49 GMT by martin55 arthur
I understand shares or funds cannot be transferred into an Isa, only possible to 'bed and Isa. i,e sell and repurchase.Can you transfer shares into an ISA? You cannot transfer normal shares and investments directly into an ISA, but you can sell and repurchase them within your ISA account to get the ISA tax benefits. HMRC only allows cash contributions into an ISA. This is because they need to track how much you contribute each year so that you don’t go over your limit of £20,000.
Posted Sun, 08 Sep 2024 22:29:50 GMT by Bernard Green
If you transfer shares into an ISA, do you have to pay Stamp Duty and any other charges?
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 12:47:25 GMT by CL McG
I have a similar question, as I understand that Bed and ISA makes you liable for CGT when they are sold (if there is an increase in the value of the shares) and before repurchase within the Stocks and Shares ISA. I'm not sure when the value of the shares should taken from if a company has merged and demerged over the years - this has affected both the share price and the number of shares I have.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2024 13:15:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Bernard Green,
Please contact the Stamp Duty Land Tax team for advice.
Stamp Duty Land Tax
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2024 14:30:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi CL McG,
This would fall under S104 holding, please refer to:
Shares and Capital Gains Tax (Self Assessment helpsheet HS284)
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 11:21:54 GMT by Ruthine
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.