Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 27 Jun 2021 15:28:11 GMT by Hexamu
I have a property business that made a loss for the first time during covid. Do I need to record the loss on my tax return (the only box I can see is 805?) or do I just need to keep note of it and take of my profit in the next year? I just want to make sure I keep the loss for future years.
Posted Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:09:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 9
If once you have completed the income from property section of you tax return the result is a loss, this would be recorded in box 43 which is titled “loss to carry forward to following year including unused losses brought forward”. 

When completing the next years tax return the figure would then be included in box 39 “Loss brought forward used against this years profits”.

Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:25:15 GMT by Hexamu
Thanks, this is for a company tax return CT600. I am using Andica software but it does not have a box 43. The only box which looks at all relevant is box 805 as that is in a section titled Losses, deficits and excess amounts. Amounts arising UK property losses.
Posted Thu, 08 Jul 2021 11:01:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

Any profits from a property business go in box 190 – any losses from a UK property business go in box 805.
The agent/company should then keep a record of any losses arising and any amounts carried forward.  These are normally shown on the CT computation.

You could also refer to the CT600 notes which can be found here:

How to complete a Company Tax Return

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.