Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 13:37:27 GMT by franceuk76
Thank you for your reply. Do I understand correctly that I can use the same reference for paying both class 2 and class 3 NICs? I want to emphasize that I currently live overseas, but want to pay from my UK account for periods that I worked abroad. In other words, I want to make a single total payment for both class 2 and class 3 with a reference in the format "NIN followed by ‘IC’ then surname then initial". I hope this is correct approach.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 08:17:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
May we ask that you contact your bank with this query as you are using their systems to arrange payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions to us.  
Your bank may be able to do the transfer to us on your behalf.  
Our reference number should be quoted on your bank transfer so that we know that the payment is for your National Insurance account.
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:51:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Unfortunately this is not possible unless you have already received the tax refund and pay the Voluntary National Insurance using the money you have already been refunded.
Thankyou

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 14:12:58 GMT by Sharon2
Thank you
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 10:54:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi franceuk76,
Thank you for your further query.
Yes, you can definitely use the same reference number for both class 2 and class 3 National Insurance contributions, and your reference number would be your National Insurance number followed by IC then your surname and initial.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 07:18:53 GMT by Pat
I want to pay my Class 2 back years and have had confirmation via CF83 and been given the amounts owing. There are instructions that you can pay as follows Paying from an overseas bank account You can pay from an overseas account if you live or work abroad temporarily. Use the following details: account number (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93 Bank Identifier Code (BIC) - BARCGB22   account name - HMRC NIC receipts BUT it also says There’s a different way to pay Class 2 National Insurance if you live or work abroad permanently. I can't find the instructions on how to pay if you live abroad permanently. Please advise
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 23:52:33 GMT by Gwbiker
Paid Class 2 voluntary contributions on July 4th. It is still not reflected in my NI record. How long is it currently taking for the payments to be applied 3my NI record. Thanks for this service, very useful as I live outside the UK
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2024 04:29:54 GMT by wrongcrow
Hello, I submitted form CF83 in 2023 and received confirmation in January of this year that I could proceed with paying voluntary class 2 NICs from overseas. I have been gradually making catch up payments since then. Each payment value corresponds to a full year of outstanding contributions from the list I was sent in my confirmation letter; I had hoped this approach would be the most straightforward. The majority of these payments have been processed and the relevant years are now showing as paid in full on my NI record. However, I received a bizarre letter in July pertaining to a payment I made on May 13th. The letter claimed that "you have not provided any information as to why this payment was made for [sic] and for which tax years. As you are living abroad, if you wish to pay voluntary contributions towards your National Insurance record, you must submit the CF83 form." There is then a good deal more about how to submit CF83, and it ends with "After receiving your application form, we can allocate your payment to the correct tax years." Naturally, I was thoroughly confused by this... especially given the fact that payments I made beforehand on February 6th and afterwards on May 20th have both been successfully processed and applied to my NI record! I have today paid the rest of my outstanding voluntary contributions, so my question is whether there is a chance that this will prompt this 'pending' payment from May 13th to work itself out, or is it going to sit eternally in the ether unless I actually call HMRC from overseas? I'm not overly concerned about the timeline, but I don't want to overshoot the April 2025 deadline. Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 08:10:02 GMT by Pat
Hello, A follow up question to my previous posted a week ago. After filling out CF83 I have received the letter giving me the amounts of Class 2 contributions that I need to make. Have just gained access to my NI Records via Gov.UK and the higher Class 3 amounts are listed on my account. How does this get amended. I'm just trying to avoid any confusion when I pay my back years i.e. want to make sure the amounts match.
Posted Fri, 06 Sep 2024 12:51:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Pat,
To pay voluntary class 2 National Insurance contributions from abroad you can use the bank details shown in this link:
Pay Class 2 National Insurance if you do not pay through Self Assessment
The only difference when you live abroad is the reference number that you use. For customers who live abroad, the correct reference number to use is, your National Insurance number, followed by IC, then your Surname and initial (or as much of your surname as possible).
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 08:51:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Gwbiker,
This will depend on where you live.
Payments from EU currently have a 41 week turnaround
Payments from outside of the EU have a 30 week turnaround
You can call our NI helpline on 0300 200 3500 if you wish and we will be able to confirm receipt of your payment.
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 08:54:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi wrongcrow,
I apologise for the level of service you have received on this occasion, it would appear that a less experienced member of staff may have dealt with the payment you made in May.  
As you say, your later payment will hopefully prompt a review of your record, resulting in both receipts being applied to your NI record correctly but obviously I can only speculate at this stage. I suggest you monitor your record until your later payment has been looked at. If at that stage, the earlier payment has not been applied correctly, please either call us or reply to the letter you have received.
The April 2025 deadline to which you refer is for the payment to have been received by HMRC, rather than applied to your NI record.
Thank you.

Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 09:53:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Britcanada,

Please contact your bank with this query as you are using their systems to arrange payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions to us. Your bank may be able to do the transfer to us on your behalf. Our reference number should be quoted on your bank transfer so that we know that the payment is for your National Insurance account.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 11:11:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Pat,
Your Personal Tax Account (PTA) will always show any shortfalls of voluntary National Insurance contributions at the Class 3 rate.  
If you have received a letter from us quoting the voluntary Class 2 contributions then please work off this rather than the PTA.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 10:36:39 GMT by Pat
Thanks for the response and thanks for this service - saves waiting on hold when calling. Much appreciated.
Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 08:52:54 GMT by Sharon2
Hi I currently live in Spain and I do not have a english bank account can you please confirm the options available to pay class 2 national insurance contributions.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2024 13:23:52 GMT by LostinSpain Almost
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 09:40:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Sharon2,
Details of how you may pay your voluntary class 2 National Insurance may be found via:  Pay Class 2 National Insurance if you do not pay through Self Assessment
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.