Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 11:13:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi SY C,
You would need to contact the Home Office for clarification on that.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 14:48:08 GMT by TJ Lee
Hi I'm currently living in Hong Kong but plan to move to the UK in early Sep for long term employment. I considered myself as non resident. I do not have P45 / National Insurance Number. 1. When I do the Tax Assessment on Go.UK to find out the Tax Code, should I enter the home address in Hong Kong / rental apartment address ( might change ) in the UK ? When I enter whether I get payments from Pension Scheme, assuming this is referring to the UK for the NEW employer in 2024/2025 ? If I do not have a Tax Code, Is BR will be used as temporary Tax Code and Do I need to pay Income Tax as a non resident till 2025 April ? That is after April 2025 I shall be a resident ( stay in more than 183 days ) and I should pay Income Tax from April 2025 onwards. 2. Tax would NOT be charged for Overseas ( HK ) money transfer to UK Bank account as a Non resident but any Tax implications for overseas money movement to the UK when I become a resident ? Any transfer limits for Tax free or any Tax implications for overseas transfer as a resident ? The remittance basis can only be used by a UK resident how about after becoming a Citizen ? 3. Tax for Savings / Investment generating interests. Does each individual has a Cap for interests as tax free and Taxpayer can use the personal allowance 12570 ? How does it work for a tax resident in the UK ?
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 12:14:13 GMT by TJ Lee
Hi Just following up any response on below queries sent on Jul 8. I'm currently living in Hong Kong but plan to move to the UK in early Sep for long term employment. I considered myself as non resident. I do not have P45 / National Insurance Number. 1. When I do the Tax Assessment on Go.UK to find out the Tax Code, should I enter the home address in Hong Kong / rental apartment address ( might change ) in the UK ? When I enter whether I get payments from Pension Scheme, assuming this is referring to the UK for the NEW employer in 2024/2025 ? If I do not have a Tax Code, Is BR will be used as temporary Tax Code and Do I need to pay Income Tax as a non resident till 2025 April ? That is after April 2025 I shall be a resident ( stay in more than 183 days ) and I should pay Income Tax from April 2025 onwards. 2. Tax would NOT be charged for Overseas ( HK ) money transfer to UK Bank account as a Non resident but any Tax implications for overseas money movement to the UK when I become a resident ? Any transfer limits for Tax free or any Tax implications for overseas transfer as a resident ? The remittance basis can only be used by a UK resident how about after becoming a Citizen ? 3. Tax for Savings / Investment generating interests. Does each individual has a Cap for interests as tax free and Taxpayer can use the personal allowance 12570 ? How does it work for a tax resident in the UK ?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 10:42:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year.

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment

If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK.

Tax on foreign income

The guidance at RDRM12150 at GOV.UK will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 

Please also refer to:

HMRC rates and allowances

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 14:53:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

To take up employment in the UK, you will require a National Insurance number. This is something you can apply for here:

Apply for a National Insurance number

If you commence an employment, you will need to advise your employer that you do not have a P45. Your employer should ask you to complete a starter checklist. This will help determine the corrct tax code to apply. UK Income Tax will be payable on your worldwide income from the date you arrive in the UK, unless you apply the remittance basis, then you would only be taxable on your UK income, but would not have a tax free allowance.  

Any money transferred to the UK, that was earned while you were not resident in the UK, would not be taxable. Any interest that it generates would be taxable. The rules for the remittance basis will change from 6 April 2025. Guidance on those changes is still being written at this time.  

There is a tax free threshold for savings interest. The amount of this interest that is tax free, depends on the level of your income. You can see guidance here: 

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 17:29:12 GMT by khc2024
Hi HMRC Admin, I quitted my previous job in Sep,2023 and completed Tax Clearance in HK before arriving UK in Oct, 2023 using BNO Visa Route. Now I am a tax residence after 185 days and I have applied the UTR code lately for reporting the Self Assessment Tax return for tax year 2023-24. For my understanding, I can apply split year treatment for Tax Year 2023-24. Apart from the Self Assessment Tax Return for Year 2023-24, I also received a Notice to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return for Tax Year 2022-23 stating that I must complete a tax return within 3 months of the date on that letter. For my understanding, I was a non-UK tax resident for year 2022-2023 after using the test in HMRC webpage, should I still need to complete the Self Assessment Tax Return for Tax Year 2022-23. If no, should I report back to HMRC? If I need complete the Self Assessment Tax Return for 2022-23, should I use SA101 [Misc income, deductions & tax reliefs - SA101 ] to report my salary income and check the Box 12 Foreign earnings not taxable in the UK for the salary income earned between 2022-23 in HK and using [Residence, remittance basis etc - SA109]? Per my understanding,[Residence, remittance basis etc - SA109] is only applied to UK Tax Resident that I will use it to apply Split Year for year 2023-24. Thank You
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 17:09:25 GMT by hz7562
Hi HMRC, I am holding BNO visa and arrive UK in Sep 2023 and I start to work in a UK company as a full time from the mid of Sep 2023. Could you please advise if I need to do self assessment for my full time job as an oversea income earned in HK before relocated to UK which was taxed in HK already?
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2024 15:35:50 GMT by Sam Lee
Hi Admin, I notice that he mandatory provident funds (MPF) are not taxable in the UK, but need to mention the MPF in the free hand text box. However, since this was accumulated over 15 years, I do not have the employer contribution and my voluntary contribution into that fund to calculate the "income". Could I just enter a rough sum into the freehand text box since it is not taxable? Thank you.
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:17:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi khc2024

You will need to contact the self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 or via our webchat facility at Contact HMRC,
to advise them that you arrived in the UK in Sept 23 and that you do not meet the criteria for a 22/23 tax return, so that it can be withdrawn.  
If you meet the criteria for using split year treatment, you would only declare your world-wide income from the date you arrived in the UK and your UK income for the whole tax year in the 23/24 tax return.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 09:18:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi hz7562,
You can check if you need to file a Self Assessment tax return here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:37:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Sam Lee,

You do not need to mention how much is in the MPF, only the sum you received in the tax year.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 04:34:59 GMT by leonia
I have a BNO visa and my pension age will be Jan 2035. I plan to come to UK in Dec 2024 and start my self employ business and rent out a residential property. would like to know ; 1. May I start pay my National contribution by voluntary class 2 in Jan 2024 for coming 10 years to get state pension after my retirement ? 2. would like to confirm that state pension NOT public fund benefits, I can get my state pension after I make the National contribution for 10 years even while the first 5 years I make the contribution in BNO visa status. Please advise thank you very much.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 02:44:18 GMT by leonia
Dear Admin, sorry for typo, my question should be I have a BNO visa and my pension age will be Jan 2035. I plan to come to UK in Dec 2024 and start my self employ business and rent out a residential property. would like to know ; 1. May I start pay my National contribution by voluntary class 2 in Jan 2025 for coming 10 years to get state pension after my retirement ? 2. would like to confirm that state pension NOT public fund benefits, I can get my state pension after I make the National contribution for 10 years even while the first 5 years I make the contribution in BNO visa status. Please advise thank you very much
Posted Mon, 09 Sep 2024 09:42:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
If you are coming to the UK to work you will pay National Insurance contributions if you earn above the lower earning limit. 
You can only claim a UK State Pension when you reach UK State Pension age and also meet the minimum requirements of 10 Years contributions.
HMRC can not confirm a persons entitlement to a UK state pension.
We are unable to comment on an individual case on this forum. 
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2024 11:36:21 GMT by KA MAN MAK
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2024 07:22:11 GMT by KnL Chan
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.