Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 13:31:05 GMT by
Hi there, I have been waiting for a self assessment tax refund which was filed in August. The total amount was £920. I rang 6 weeks ago to inquire about why it was taking so long and was informed it had been pulled for additional security checks. To this day, I’ve yet to receive my refund and I am wondering why it is taking so long? Any insight as to what is going with this would be appreciated thanks.
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 11:03:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Hayden,
If selected for additional security checks we would need to access your record to check on the progress.
You can contact HMRC here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 11:19:49 GMT by Candy Pang
Dear HMRC , I just submitted my first self assessment tax return for 2023-2024. I have one income for 5 weeks employment only with PAYE . The tax summary state that ‘ Total tax repayable to you for 2023-2024 £xxxxx. And My account also state that I have nothing needs to pay . May I confirm : 1) I am entitle for tax refund . Am I right? 2) Refund will automatically bank in my bank account . Am I right ? 3) What will happen next ? Anything I needs to do now ? Thank you .
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 14:32:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Candy Pang

From your description, it sounds like you are overpaid, and can claim this overpayment via your Personal Tax Account (it will not be repaid to you automatically unless you entered your bank details when you filed your return).
If you would like us to confirm that you are overpaid, contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries and we can review your record.

Thank you

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 11:05:37 GMT by lizmcphil
"From your description, it sounds like you are overpaid, and can claim this overpayment via your Personal Tax Account (it will not be repaid to you automatically unless you entered your bank details when you filed your return)." I think the main problem is what you've written above isn't true. You include your bank details in the return, you get the response saying it's going to be paid, you wait and then 2 days later you go into your account and it's reverted to as if you haven't asked for a repayment. It took, I think, over a year for me 21-22 repayment, and several months for my 22-23 repayment. Each time, I was requesting it over and over again, getting responses saying it's being paid and then nothing happens. The same looks to be happening in my 23-24 return. I did it on Friday last week, requested a refund, it said it'd done that, and when I've logged in today my accounts is showing the amount due, but no evidence of a refund requested. I've gone in and requested it again, but I expect I'll be doing the same over and over, every week for months or years. If it's a security check then fine, but it never has been. Everything looks in order after a few days, and then the refund is just not paid. Why does this happen to so many people, and every year? There's clearly something - possibly intentional - in the system to stop legitimate repayments being made.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 09:35:55 GMT by lizmcphil
Hi again, the same thing is happening as happened before. A few days ago I requested repayment into my bank account - the same request I put in when I filed my self-assessment. It responded saying the repayment would be made. I've logged in today and it's as if neither request was ever made. The refund amount is just sitting in my account. I've requested another repayment - I get the same response screen as I've seen about 20 times before. There's no "pending" on anything, the refund has obviously been granted, there's just some ongoing problem with my account that accepts a repayment request and then does nothing and erases everything after two days. What do I have to do to (a) get the repayment paid, and (b) get it fixed so I don't have to go through this whole lengthy rigmarole every year?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 09:45:41 GMT by lizmcphil
Hi, same thing again. All I have to do is wait 2 days, and then the account is as if nothing happened before. PLEASE can you tell me what I need to do? There is no pending, there is no security check, there is just no payment happening, and there's no reason why.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 10:04:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are having issues requesting your repayment.
To review this HMRC will need to access your record.
You can contact HMRC to review:
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 08:50:43 GMT by lizmcphil
There is no problem requesting my repayment. The problem is the request goes through, and 48 hours later everything resets as if I never made the request, and no payment is made. This has been a problem for me for the last 3 years.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 11:13:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi lizmcphil,
We will need to access your record to review this for you.
You can contact HMRC:
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.