Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Apr 2023 13:16:19 GMT by Daria
Hi everyone, I've been trying to register for Self Assessment for weeks but I couldn't because, as I was told by a member of the HMRC Digital Support Team, my DOB is somehow incorrect with HMRC. Of course, I wasn't able to get through to a human support agent over the helpline, to get this sorted out. The Digital Support previously told me (via email) that they are unable to help and I need to send several of my original documents BY POST to HMRC but I don't see why I must do it since my DOB is correct in all the other UK databases, it's correct on my BRP and on the letter with my NIN I received, it's impossible to imagine how it can be incorrect here and not aligned with all the other state databases. It's so frustrating and there's seemingly no viable solution, I haven't found any cases like that on the Internet, it only says you can write to HMRC if your personal details changed but mine haven't, the date of birth has always been the same, in all the systems. Additionally, why should I spend my time and money to correct someone's human error that doesn't originate from my side? Why can't it be resolved online? I can't risk losing my original documents since I'm here under the Ukraine scheme and if Royal Mail loses my passport (and they are likely to, considering the quality of the service they provide), I would have to wait for months to get it re-issued since all our embassies and consulates are booked for months to come. If anyone ever encountered the same situation, I would really appreciate some advice Thank you
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 12:40:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If the date of birth is incorrect, you can only get this updated by writing to
PT Operations North East England,
HM Revenue and Customs,
BX9 1AN.
You will need to confirm your full name and address, National Insurance number and evidence of the date of birth.
We can only accept an original document or a certified copy as evidence.
We are unable to update this any other way.
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:10:58 GMT by Fiend
Hello, I am having a similar problem. I am a UK citizen with a British Passport. I have been living in my parent's house for a few years now and have been working mostly abroad. This has meant I have not used my GOV gateway page in a long time. I have recently attempted to log in to my HMRC profile using my gateway code, but it wasnt recognising some of the details. I called the HMRC and after several departmetns and very long waiting times I managed to find out that somehow the HMRC has my date of birth wrong. This is incredible as I have worked for years in the UK before and received payslips and payed my taxes. In any case they said that I would need to write a letter asking for a change of my personal details. This letter would need to include all my correct personal details, as well a copy of my passport. They did not mention I needed to certify my passport. Also the address they gave me was, Pay As You Earn, HMRC, BX9 1AS. I sent the letter yesterday and today it was returned to the Return address, which is my home address. My questions are: Do I need tot get the passport copy certified?? What is the correct address to send this letter to? Any help on this matter would be greatly apreciated. Kind regards.
Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 11:04:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If you are not sending the original then the copy needs to be certified.
The address to write to is PT Operations North East England, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AN.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.