Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 09:27:55 GMT by
Our company is non-UK company which was recreantly VAT registered. We submitted our overseas bank details from Gateway to HMRC but there was no update within three working days. I called HMRC today and they told me any overseas bank account without IBAN code cannot be registered as VAT repayment account. Please advise if this is true, and how to get VAT repayment if the company has no IBAN code in overseas bank account (non-EU banks).
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 06:24:10 GMT by Jay Cooke
Visit this link https://www.gov.uk/vat-repayments Scroll down to the section "repayments to an overseas bank account" and there is a link in this section that takes you to your government gateway/VAT portal, log in to your gateway and then it will ask for your IBAN/BIC details. You must use the above link, you cannot access the special bank pages by just logging into your gateway.
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 10:18:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi FK01434,

Hello for us to pay into an overseas account it must have the below information For HMRC to make a payment into your overseas bank account, it must be:
In the name of the company owed a repayment.
Associated with a named business owner or an authorised person with a Government Gateway ID.
Able to accept repayments in pounds sterling.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 16 Aug 2023 11:47:56 GMT by
Thank you for your messages. We have already submitted overseas account details via Gateway using the link (https://www.gov.uk/vat-repayments) on 9 August 2023. Our issue is there is no confirmation from HMRC after 3 working days if the overseas bank account registration completed. Can we assume that the bank info was already registered and next VAT repayment will be remitted to the overseas account in GBP?
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:31:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

To be on the safe side I would call our Helpline and we can confirm if we currently hold the overseas bank details.If we do indeed hold them then any future payments will be made in to the overseas bank account.

Please contuct us as below:

VAT: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.