Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Re:How to pay Voluntary contributions to fill gaps

Hi Paul from Aus2 Frances,
    Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately, without looking at your personal records I am unable to confirm if you have been correctly advised with regards to paying voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst abroad.
    Your online National Insurance records will show years where you are deficient, and how much those years will cost at the voluntary Class 3 rate. However, before making any payments, you would need to check with the Pension Service, whether making these payments would benefit you. Further information can be found on the gov.uk website - Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
    Because you are over state pension age, your application to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions would be processed by the International Pension Centre rather than HMRC. You may wish to contact the International Pension Centre to check if your application was passed to them to process. Their contact number is +44 (0) 191 2187777. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm.
    Thank you.
  • Re:How to Pay Voluntary National Insurance Contributions from Abroad

Hi Philip Paxton,
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a timescale for when this service will be available and whether it will apply to people living overseas. With regards to your query about your application to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions from abroad, I can confirm that if you are eligible to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, you will still be able to pay them after you reach state pension age.
    Because you are now approaching state pension age, your application to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions may have been have been passed to the International Pension Centre for them to process.You can contact them on +44 (0) 191 218 7777 to check if they have your application, or you can contact the National Insurance contributions helpline to see what stage your application is at. The number for that helpline is +44 (0) 191 203 7010. Both lines are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
    Thank you.
  • re:National Insurance on Bonuses

Hi Mracapulet
    Advise on the national insurance question:
    National insurance is taken as and when you are paid. Please use the national insurance calculator on gov.uk for the 2024/25 tax year and the rates and tables that apply:
    National Insurance rates and categories: Contribution rates - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Work out an employee's National Insurance contributions - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    I have added the tax calculator link below but you may wish to ask the PAYE taxes question to that line of business.
    Please also see the tax calculator - Work out an employee's Income Tax - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Thank you.

• Re:Change Name After Marriage

Hi Michael,
    I have checked the timescale for our Individual Caseworker department which shows they are currently working on correspondence dated 9 July 2023. As the letter was sent on 21 March 2023 I would have expected it to have been dealt with by now. 
    I would advise your wife to call the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 to enable them to look into this further.
    Thank you.

• Re:Filling NI shortfall gaps from Turkey

Hi Goandeas,
    You can check the reply timescales from HMRC via the online tool - Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    The timescales are applicable at the time and are subject to change.
    Alternatively, you can also call the Centre for Non residents on the number below.
    Number - 0300 200 3500
    Overseas - 0044 191 203 7010
    Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
    Thank you.

• Re:Fill in Return Online

Hi Whol Petg,
    If you have paid Voluntary Class 2 NICs for the 2022-23 Tax year and it is not reflected on your PTA there may be a problem, I would advise you to contact the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 who will be able to help.
    Thank you.
  • Re:How will I be contacted?

Hi Keith,
    Thank you for your enquiry. It can take up to 4 weeks for post to arrive (sometimes longer if you are abroad).
    If you have waited longer than 4 weeks, please contact the National Insurance helpline and we will check your records and see if a copy can be issued.
    The number is 0300 200 3500 (+44 191 203 7010 if calling from abroad) Lines are open Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm.
    Thank you.
  • Re:Specified Adult Childcare Credits

Hi julian.wootten,
    You can check the reply timescales on gov.uk for Specified Adult Childcare applications on - Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    There is the option to pay voluntary class 3 contributions to complete any gaps you have pending the approval of your application if you are wanting to get the full state pension prior to state retirement.
    If you do decide to pay class 3 contributions, please ensure you inform us that you are paying the class 3 contributions due to the pending SACC application’s approval.
    If you are approved to have the credits for childcare, we will have it referenced that you are paying the class 3 in case you are rejected, we can issue a refund of your class 3 paid.
    To pay class 3 voluntary please call National Insurance Helpline to discuss your gaps or use web chant services through a Personal tax account
    Number - 0300 200 3500
    Overseas - +44 191 203 7010
    Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
    Thank you.
  • Re:Refund of voluntary class 2 National Insurance contributions

Hi A D,
    If your wife have made an error in paying Voluntary Class 2 NICs she can claim a refund. I would advise her to contact the DWP to check if a refund would affect her benefit entitlement. If a refund is made and she later decides to pay again it may be too late or she may be charged at a higher rate. Your wife can claim a refund by completing form CA8480 and submitting it through her Personal Tax Account if she has one (if not, a Personal Tax account can be setup at gov.uk/personal-tax-account) or by writing to Self-Employment Services, National Insurance Contributions Office, HMRC, BX9 1AN. 
    Thank you.
  • Re:PAYE National insurance underpayment

Hi Liba2569
    Are you able to advise what the debt relates to so we can advise you of the correct area you need to speak to?
    If you are referring to tax credits please call – 0345 300 3900
    Or the, pay as you earn taxes line on - 0300 200 3300
    Thank you.