Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 01 Oct 2022 21:25:04 GMT by Pedro30
Hi, I'm currently filling in my self-assessment form, regarding UK property (SA105) expenses. Having looked through all the guidance, I am still not sure under which box on the tax return to put certain expenses. There are these boxes as follows: Box 24: Rent, rates, insurance, ground rent etc Box 25: Property repairs and maintenance; and Box 27: Legal, management and other professional fees Box 29: Other allowable property expenses (stationary, business travel, misc) Am I correct that 1. Tenant referencing (background checks) expense goes in Box 27? 2. Expense for a third party to prepare the tenancy and collect the deposit goes in Box 27? 3. Replacement door keys go in Box 25? 4. Replacement ladder go in Box 25? 5. Vacuum cleaner used to clean the property between tenancies go in Box 25? if not, which box should each of these they go under?
Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 11:08:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Yes you are correct  .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 06 Oct 2022 19:06:36 GMT by Pedro30
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. One more question, as part of that new government regulations (,room%20used%20as%20living%20accommodation). I had to purchase a carbon monoxide alarm. Would I be correct putting this expense in Box 25? If not, which box should it go under?
Posted Thu, 13 Oct 2022 09:59:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Pedro30,

You are correct. the expense goes in Box 25.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.