Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Nov 2022 09:38:42 GMT by Elyssa Long
Sole trader. I don't have a car/can't drive, but I book work events away from home which require travel. My husband will often come with me or drop me off/pick me up depending on the distance - so far I have never claimed this as an expense, as most of the time I haven't paid petrol when it's just a 20 minute trip. However, I recently did an event much further away from home which required about £60 of fuel and may be doing more like this moving forwards so - if I pay for the fuel for him to drive me, can I include that as a business expense? I presume the flat mileage rate wouldn't really work since I am literally only paying for fuel, not any of his maintenence costs etc. The fuel cost is soley for the travel to the event and nothing personal and none of the events are my usual place of work, they are around the country.
Posted Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:45:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Yes, you can clam this, but only the to and from journey. Any extra that you are dropped off and your husband goes elsewhere is not allowed.

You can find guidance here:

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.