Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:03:25 GMT by Michael Bavington
Hi, I was made redundant 24/04/2020 and am trying to claim back tax for the year. I received a P11d for tax year 2019/20 from my old employer, and HMRC are saying they need one for 2020/21. My old employer said they won't issue a P11d for 2020/21 as I was "inactive", even though I was employed by them during the tax year (we didn't work beyond the end of march 2020 due to Covid). Am I right in thinking I can request a P11d even if they say they aren't issuing one as I assume it will have nothing on it? When I called HMRC they said they need it before they can refund any tax I am owed. Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:16:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

As per:

P45, P60 and P11D forms: workers' guide

your employer does not need to provide you with a copy of your P11D, however, they do need to let you know how much each benefit is worth.

From the employers perspective, if they did not provide employees with benefits during the 2020/21 tax year, they should have declared that no return of Class 1A National Insurance was due.

I would suggest that you ask your previous employer for confirmation in writing that they did not provide you with any taxable benefits during that year. 

Thankyou.

Regards. 
Posted Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:41:19 GMT by Michael Bavington
That's great, thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.