Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 23:30:55 GMT by AK
Dear agent, To be able to practice my profession (doctor) I have to be registered to my professional organisation. First time , I made a payment to my professional organisation to register first time on 05/12/2019 and on 13/02/2020 for an additional registration stage. Then I paid my annual retention fee to my organisation on 24/11/2020 to be able to practice my profession for the year of 2021 and I paid again on 01/12/2021 to be able to practice my profession for the year of 2022. I have started to work on 31/08/2021 and this is my first tax year (21-22) as a sole-trader. My questions are, can I claim these first registration fees too? Can I claim my previous annual retention fees, even before I have started to work? If I can, how far back can I claim expenses as a sole trader? As you can see, I have to pay on every December for the next year's annual retention fee. According to this, do you advise me to include 2022's annual retention (paid on 12/2021) fee as an expense too in my 21-22 tax year, or do you advise me to include it as an expense to my 22-23 tax year even it is paid on 12/2021 Also, I had to pay indemnity/insurance in January of 2021, before I start to work. Can I claim this an expense too? Kind regards. AK
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:16:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You would need to claim the expenses during the tax year that they occured.

You can claim the insurance as an expense.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:40:00 GMT by AK
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:18:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

The insurance paid in February 2021 should be claimed in the 2020 to 2021 tax year.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:05:54 GMT by AK
Hi, Thank you for your answer. My work start date was 31 August 2021. This will be my first tax return as a sole-trader. Regarding my professional organisation's rule and legislation, without of this insurance I cannot keep registered to my professional organisation and it is not allowed to practice my profession. First of all I needed to have this indemnity then to be able to apply for a work. According to that I wonder if I can count it as a pre-trading expense? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 11:54:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Pre trading expenses can only be carried forward and set against trading profit once trading has commenced.  
Guidance on pre trading expenses can be found at BIM46351 (Specific deductions: pre-trading expenditure) and helpsheet HS222, should help calculate your taxable profit.  
HS222 How to calculate your taxable profits (2022)
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 01:30:27 GMT by elaine
Hi I fit the description of a split-year treatment in the tax year 2023-2024. Prior to starting my full-time job as a UK resident, I renewed my HCPC registration while I was residing in another country as a non-UK resident. I wonder if I could claim back tax on the said fee. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 09:50:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi elaine,
Please have a look at the tool here:
Claim tax relief for your job expenses.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 04:25:16 GMT by elaine
Hi Thanks for the reply. I have a follow up question. Do I need to ask for a tax receipt from HCPC in order to claim back tax? Or just the confirmation of any online payment is enough?
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:19:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Confirmation of your online payment should be enough.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.