Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:57:53 GMT by Carmenip
Hi Hope you can give me some advice, Both of myself and my partner are employed by the same Company but in different offices, we share a same vehicle (our main family car), my partner is the registered keeper, Both of us are insured drivers on the same vehicle. In some occasions, we have to work in different offices (different locations), I normally drive the car with my partner to my contractual base A then to my other workplace B, then my partner take the car to his contractual base C and later to other office D. Business journey from C to D (base to other workplace) – this is allowable expenses claim for him. the question is I use the car that under my partner’s name for business purpose (Journey A to B is a business journey), is it tax deductible? Is it necessary for a person who claims mileage to be the legal owner of the vehicle? If I don’t drive the car my partner take me from my base A to other workplace B and back to his office C and then other workplace D, in this case is journey A to B allowable expenses claim for him (as he is the employee carries another employee in his own car on a business journey)? Many thanks
Posted Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:29:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance on travel expenses here:

EIM32000 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: contents

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 10:47:42 GMT by Carmenip
Hi Thanks for your advice. Can I have clarification for the definition "own vehicle" ? is that mean only the legal owner of the car can claim mileage ? If I use my partner's car for business purpose I am not able to claim mileage as I am not the owner of the car? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Jan 2023 14:47:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Own vehicle must be one that is owned or jointly owned by you.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:46:41 GMT by Carmenip
Sorry what is that mean jointly own? Is that mean the vehicle must be under my name plus my partner name ? How can I show that the car is jointly owned by us (as my partner is the register keeper and the car is under his name but we share the car as a familly car)? is that mean I couldn't claim any mileage allowance when using the car for business purpose? Can you please advise? Many thanks
Posted Thu, 16 Feb 2023 14:49:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
You and your partner treat the vehicle as a family vehicle.  
This would be sufficient for HMRC, when considering mileage allowances.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.