Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 05 Dec 2022 11:03:22 GMT by Simon
I am employed to work remotely, currently working from home. I would like to rent some office space, but want to know if I can claim tax relief on the rent that I would be paying out of my own pocket. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 16:20:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

This depends on whether you are self employed or under PAYE.

Expenses if you're self-employed

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Dec 2022 08:15:24 GMT by Simon
I am under PAYE as my primary source of income, however I do some freelance work out of normal working hours which I will also use the office for. unfortunately those links don't provide an answer.
Posted Fri, 09 Dec 2022 16:17:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Simon,

For PAYE employment you cannot claim expenses if your employer does in fact provide office space.
For the self employment, you would only be able to claim relief for a portion of the rent that relates to that. eg if only work 1 day a week then you can only claim 1/5th of the rent.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.