Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:32:13 GMT by DarrenJD
I understand that flat rate expenses can be claimed for home working during the pandemic, when employer has requested, of £4 for 19/20 and £6 for 20/21 but cannot see which section/where this is entered on the online self assessment form?
Posted Tue, 05 Jan 2021 13:27:00 GMT by Stuart McLoughlin
Darren. I am glad that it isn't just me! I am sorry if you thought this was an answer. I will keep looking through here
Posted Wed, 13 Jan 2021 11:05:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 15
Hi On the self-assessment form, it would be declared under ‘other expenses. As stated, it was £4 a week you receive for working from home. For the current tax year 20/21 you can wait until the end of the tax year and declare in the same way via your 20/21 self-assessment return or you can complete our online form at claim-income-tax-relief-for-your-employment-expenses-p87#claim-online in order to have your tax code altered. You would still need to declare this amount on your 20/21 return.  Thank you
Posted Wed, 13 Jan 2021 12:31:12 GMT by DarrenJD
Thanks for update but can you confirm that anyone in my situation of being in full time employment but being asked to work from home by their employer cannot include these flat rate expenses on the on-line self assessment form? cannot see where these would be entered, there is not an "other expenses" section. In this situation I am unable to use the online p87 as I have to complete a self assessment.
Posted Tue, 19 Jan 2021 19:34:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 14
Hi Darren, If you are employed and claiming job expenses, you can make your claim online on your Self Assesment Tax Return in the Employment section you are asked if  'Do you wish to claim for any employment expenses for capital allowances while working for your employer'. Regards.
Posted Wed, 20 Jan 2021 14:34:31 GMT by jonny0000
post your question at
Posted Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:58:30 GMT by Lim Ryan
Hey Jonny0000, I already posted my questions at but still didn't get any reply. Let's see what happens. By the way thanks for sharing the link.
Posted Sun, 24 Jan 2021 00:55:07 GMT by william, jordn
YES, post your question at
Posted Tue, 26 Jan 2021 09:23:57 GMT by Amelia Belli
Really Informational discussion. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 28 Jan 2021 05:24:17 GMT by admin76 jjpy
That's a great information thanks for sharing this.
Posted Tue, 09 Feb 2021 19:25:00 GMT by Emma Joy
Thank you for the information You shared, I was looking for same .
Posted Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:56:58 GMT by Randirona9787
hank you for the information You shared, I was looking for same 

[web link removed]
Posted Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:45:54 GMT by nandla strat
thanks for this info..
Posted Sun, 21 Feb 2021 07:01:21 GMT by elladevids
I highly Appreciate your effort , You did it According to the need of audience .
Posted Wed, 24 Feb 2021 08:57:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello Natalie.

There is a section in the employment page that asks about other expenses and capital allowances that is where you would put your working from home expense.

Thank You.
Posted Tue, 02 Mar 2021 11:25:20 GMT by Fiona Smith
going through would be helpful
Posted Sat, 06 Mar 2021 09:27:51 GMT by alexa1
You shared, I was looking for the same thank u so much .
Posted Sat, 06 Mar 2021 10:50:37 GMT by Sophia Ava
Really information Article keeps sharing more article. Thanks Regards. Sophia Ava
Posted Tue, 09 Mar 2021 17:39:14 GMT by Staceymetheron
I appreciate this valuable update but I want to ask that being work from home and ask from the employer not to include extra expenses on the assessment form. This could save our other expanses.
Posted Mon, 15 Mar 2021 13:08:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Staceymetheron,

You will need to discuss this with your employer.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.