Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:59:16 GMT by Leslie Macartney
I've received an inheritance from my father, a US citizen and domiciled in the USA. I understand there is no tax on this, but am uncertain whether I need to complete a Self Assessment Form to indicate it's receipt nor what paperwork may be needed to prove the amounts are from an inheritance.
Posted Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:26:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi, Leslie Macartney,
You do not need to report this.
Thank you.

Posted Sat, 22 Apr 2023 14:23:44 GMT by LayAi Sutherland
My husband and I have a holiday home in Malaysia bought with our money earned in UK. Do we have to pay uk tax if we remit the proceeds of the sales back to uk
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 07:44:27 GMT by Andrew Howarth
My brother recently died in America. He was a US resident and lived there for the last 27 years. He does not have a property in the UK. I'm named in his Will. Do I have to pay inheritance tax on the cash and assets he has left for me? I live in the UK
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 10:26:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Please contact the Inheritance Tax team for further advice.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:04:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi LayAi Sutherland,

If you are UK resident and domicile, you need to declare your worldwide income in the UK. if you have sold the property or rent it out, you need to declare the income received.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Apr 2023 14:31:14 GMT by bhsong303 Song
I am a USA citizen and domiciled in the USA. I am planning to give all my assets, including stock brokerage funds, to my daughter who is a USA citizen and living in the UK as a permanent resident when I die. I will be responsible for the USA Estate Tax, but it will be under the USA Estate Exemption limit ($12.9M in 2023). Will my daughter be paying any UK inheritance tax?
Posted Fri, 05 May 2023 10:36:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi bhsong303 Song,

If all of the assets are non UK based, no Inheritance Tax will be due:
How Inheritance Tax works: thresholds, rules and allowances

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 16:15:47 GMT by Tatiana
Hello, I'm a UK resident. My dad, who was a Mexican citizen died in Mexico and I inherited two properties from him. The properties are now in the process of being sold and when that happens, will I need to declare this money when I receive it? I know Mexico will tax me from bringing the money to the UK but I don't know if I will need to pay taxes here in the UK as well or if there is anything I can do to avoid double taxation? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 13:47:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

As a UK resident you will need to declare the gain in the UK. You can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the tax paid in Mexico to set agains the UK liability. You can see guidance here:

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:16:59 GMT by Tatiana
Hello, Thanks so much for your response. I have looked into the Guidance you kindly directed me to, but I'm still very confused. From what I gather, I should pay Capital Gains Tax if A) My dad was domiciled in the UK (which he never was) or if, B) His properties were domiciled in the UK (also not the case). Am I understanding this correctly? Also, do I need to find an accountant for this? I have spent quite a bit of time searching for one online but it's hard to find someone that seems to reliable/have the relevant expertise.
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:52:48 GMT by Vito B
Dear HMRC admins, I'm a Spanish citizen living and working in UK since 2015. I have just received a cash transfer ( aprox 20,000 EUR ) from my mum ( she lives in Spain ) to a bank account in Spain. Please, are there any income tax implications? Do I need to inform this in the tax self-assessment? Thank you in advance.
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:57:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Tatiana

UK inheritance tax applies to people who are resident in the UK when they pass away or non resident individuals, who have property in the UK at their time of death.  
Where the estates exceed to threshold, the difference is taxable.  
If your father is not resident in the UK at his time of death and has no UK property, Inheritance tax would not apply.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:25:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Vito,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax.  

Further guidance can be found here.

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:30:10 GMT by Silvio Solorzano
Hi, my parents are U.S citizen/Nicaraguan citizen, ,my parents are thinking in giving us our inheritance now while they are alive,.I am Nicaraguan citizen living here in the UK since 2006, do I have to pay taxes here in the UK if they transfer the money from the US ?
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 11:27:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Silvio Solorzano,
There are no income tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.
Further guidance can be found here:
Tax on savings interest
Tax on dividends
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 09:56:34 GMT by Adel Goubran
Hi, I am a non resident non British citizen, I am an Egyptian living in Egypt and hold accounts (cash) in both USD and GBP in a bank in London. Will my children (living in Egypt too) have to pay inheritance tax if I pass away? I understood from the website that they will have to pay 40% on any GBP amount over 325,000 but none on the foreign (USD) currency account, did I understand that right? 
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 13:50:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

That is correct. It is only your UK assets that are included.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:19:39 GMT by Jean Luc Scalabre
Hello, my daughter lives in the UK for more than 5 years. I live outside the UK and outside the EU. I want to donate her 100,000£ resulting from the sale of my house. Will she have to pay taxes. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:26:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends. These would then potentially be subject to tax. You can see guidance here:

Tax on savings interest

Tax on dividends

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.