Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:16:56 GMT by vc
I have big trouble in using the HMRC service. I have registered as NRL and be given a UTR. I am able to log in the HMRC but no more - I cannot update my personal particulars or even use the service as EVERYTIME I am asked to enter my National Insurance No. I am not a UK resident so I will never have such number. May I know how I can update my personal particulars as I have just recently moved and I do not want to miss any mailings from HMRC. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 26 Jul 2022 13:39:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If you do not have a National Insurance number you will not be able to register for an online account, you would need to advise of any change to address by telephone or in writing.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

You must be signed in to post in this forum.