Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 22:38:52 GMT by
I am currently unemployed with no income. Question 1: Do I need to submit a self assessment for my overseas savings interest which is less than GBP 0.4? Question 2: I also have UK savings interest which is around GBP 0.5, do I need to submit a self assessment? Many thanks for your reply.
Posted Mon, 06 Feb 2023 14:26:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Given the very low amounts of overseas investment income you receive, you would not have to complete a Self Assessment Tax Return.                                                      

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 May 2023 19:40:07 GMT by Pui Yee Wong
If my husband is currently unemployed and his only income is the saving interests earned is less than £10 from UK bank and about £200 from banks in Hong Kong (foreign banks). Does he need to file the self assessment tax returns?
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 12:21:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes he will as he is in receipt of foreign income.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 13:09:26 GMT by
Iam currently unemployed since March 2023. I am a dependant visa holder. Do i need to pay tax?
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:32:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If you are in receipt of an overseas income / capital gain, then this should be declared in a self assessment tax return.  
If your world-wide income is below the personal allowance of £12570, then no tax is payable.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 13:28:37 GMT by Thomas813
Dear Sirs, My son came to UK on 20 Sept, 2023. He stayed in HK till now and even to May 2024. He is now 20 years old. He has applied for BNO 5+1 visa. He does not have a job and no earnings at all. He has some bank interest in UK ( around 30 pounds). For forerign country incomes, he has also bank interest of HK$200 ( around 20 pounds). He does not have any other incomes.He will stay in UK over 183 days. In this case, does he need to make a self assessment for period 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024? Thank for your attention, best regards  .

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:25:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Thomas813,
Please refer to Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.