Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 30 Nov 2022 21:16:53 GMT by prssvel
Hi, If my pension contributions fall within the annual allowance plus carry-forward allowances, do I need to submit the self-assessment? I contributed 50K GBP towards my pension this year, whereas last 3 years I contributed only 8000 GBP per year. In this scenario, I am utilizing my carry-forward allowance and contributing above my annual allowance of 40K. Please confirm If I need to do self-assessment.
Posted Fri, 02 Dec 2022 15:00:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You do not need to complete a tax return as no charge will be due. You do however need to inform HMRC in writing of this so that we are aware that you have utilised unused relief.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Dec 2022 22:34:15 GMT by prssvel
Thanks for the response. I assume I can inform HMRC in a writing through email. Please share the email ID to which I need to inform the same.
Posted Tue, 20 Dec 2022 15:07:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You cannot use email. You will need to send in writing to:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.