Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 11:23:38 GMT by USexpat22
I am a US-person working and living in the UK, so both countries have the right to tax my worldwide income. I had some consulting income from the US in the tax year 2022-2023. I am confused about how much foreign tax was paid on my consulting income on the Self Assessment form. My US tax calculation shows that I owed roughly 20% of it to the US, but I was able to use tax credits (such as child tax credits and foreign tax credits that the US allows) to essentially cancel out all I owed. I am confused what to enter on my self-assessment: should I enter the 20% value I calculated or should I enter 0?
Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 18:08:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi USexpat22,

You will declare the actual US income received (converted to sterling)  but as no foreign tax has been paid, there will be no credit to claim to reduce your UK tax liability on this source. 

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.