Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:45:54 GMT by DB1
Hi, I filled out my first self-assessment for the tax year 2019-2020, I paid the bill for Class 2 NICs, and I expected that to fulfil the NI requirements for that year. I have done the same for the next 3 tax years and they have contributed as 'Full Years', except for the 2019-2020 entry which states: "Year is not full We are checking this year to see if it counts towards your pension. We’ll update your record when this is finished, you do not need to do anything." The bill for that year was less than subsequent years, but I have no control over the amount they charged me for Class 2 NICs, so the error must lie with HMRC. I filled out the return correctly. How can I correct this entry? I am very disappointed as I thought that year's Class 2 NICs were taken care of, and now I expect I will have to pay more. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:03:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi DB1,

Without being able to check your record I am unable to give a definitive reply, but I suspect your self-employment began part way through the 2019-20 year. 
You will only have been charged Class 2 NICs for the weeks in which you were self-employed.  
If the year is still showing as ‘not full’ you will be able to pay Class 3 NICs voluntarily to top up the year if you wish.  
Can I suggest you contact the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500. Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.
Please note the deadline for payment of NICs for years prior to 2017-18 is 31 July 2023.  
As a result of this, we are seeing an unusually high volume of calls.
As you have until 5 April 2024 to pay NICs for the 2019-20 year at the rates currently in force, you may wish to consider calling them later in the year.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 12:58:18 GMT by DB1
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise the Class 2 NICs wouldn't be applied for that whole tax year, but only from when I registered as self-employed. I can't afford any Class 3 NICs, so I guess my payment for that year will be wasted. I sent HMRC a letter, but I think you are right and I am not as close to fulfilling my pension requirements as I thought. Thank you for your help. Kind Regards.
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:25:08 GMT by Buster Blood vessel Tia
Im having similar issues, I have 5 year's of year not full and told it is being checked and do not need to do anything. I have worked full time all those years and paid full contributions. impossible to get through the auto answer always cuts me off.
Posted Tue, 25 Apr 2023 23:48:19 GMT by DB1
Hey Buster Blood vessel Tia, I totally sympathise. It has been an uphill struggle to register as self-employed to pay the Class 2 NICs, only to find out the first year may not count at all. Why was I charged at all if it would not ultimately count? Can I get a refund? Why wasn't I sent a bill for the full year? Why has the system not been updated but is still 'checking' after four years? Why would the start date of my Class 2 contributions be when I sent in the return, rather than for the whole tax year? I wish you all the luck - everything seems broken. Being persistent seems to be the only way. Kind Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.