Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 21:06:55 GMT by Chak Huang
There are only three choices on the Register for Self Assessment page: self-employed, not self-employed, and registering a partner. Which one am I? Not self-employed? I have taxable foreign income to declare: interests generated from fixed term deposits in overseas bank accounts.
Posted Wed, 24 May 2023 14:02:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Self employed is for sole trader and partnership is for partners in a partnership.  
In your  case, you would resigister for self assessment as not self employed.
Posted Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:07:36 GMT by Chak Huang
Thanks. I have a follow-up question. As I said I'm retired and my only income, interest from savings accounts, are well within the personal allowance. Since I'm new in the country and have never filed tax returns here before, should I report my income to the HMRC anyway? Thanks again.
Posted Tue, 05 Sep 2023 11:30:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If you are required to register for self assessment, you can do this online at:

Register for Self Assessment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.