Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 11:55:32 GMT by Jin Lee
Hi, wanted to seek some guidance and assurance on the understanding of the situation: 1. I moved to live in the UK from my home country in December 2022. 2. I took up a short term job from 27 Feb 2023 to 5 Apr 2023 which was taxed via PAYE. 3. Do I still need to file any self assessment 2022/23? I still have bank accounts in my home country getting some interest but with the UK ties above, am I not a tax resident for 2022/23? Thanks!
Posted Sun, 16 Apr 2023 01:50:51 GMT by Jin Lee
To supplement - having done the SRT, I am not a tax resident for 2022/23. Do I need to get approval/confirmation from HMRC for not requiring to do self assessment on overseas income? In that case, what shall I do to the 20% tax deducted at PAYE due to tax code 0T? It is below my personal allowance for uk income 22/23.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:20:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

With regards to your first question please see guidance here Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:50:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jin Lee,
If you are not tax resident in the UK for 22/23 and you have had income tax deducted, you will need to complete a Self Assessment Tax return, showing the UK income and tax deducted.  

You will also need to complete the residence section of the tax return.  
If you want to submit a Self Assessment Tax return, including residence section, you will need to purchase 3rd party commericial software.
A list of providers can be found here:
Self Assessment commercial software suppliers

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.