Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:30:49 GMT by Patrick Gallagher
Hello, I am moving to Australia in June and am leaving behind property in the UK that will then start to be rented out. I currently do not need to be registered for Self Assessment but I will need to be registered once this property starts being rented out. I also need to register as a Non Resident Landlord. My Question is: - Do I register for Self Assessment or as a Non Resident Landlord first? Does it make any difference? - I assume it is best to do all these registrations now whilst I am still in the UK, so I am registered for self assessment and as a NRL before I leave in June? - Anything else important to note? Many thanks for your help, I could not find advice on these questions in the forums. Patrick
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:16:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You should register for SA once the income starts, and then register as NRL when you have the UTR.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:40:02 GMT by Patrick Gallagher
Hello, Thank you. I was advised that I should apply for SA before I leave the country as it will be easier to go through the documentation as opposed to having to do this when I am in Australia? Is it therefore ok to apply for SA a few months before I actually need it? Many thanks, Patrick
Posted Wed, 26 Apr 2023 12:29:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Patrick Gallagher,

If you apply for Self Assessment now, you will need to remember to update your address when you have left the UK.

When registering, you will not be able to put a future date for the criteria starting.

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.