Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Feb 2023 07:03:47 GMT by smilybar
Morning, I am from Hong Kong via BNO VISA (to stay and to work for 5 years). My VISA status is not allowed to get public funds. However, may I know if I can apply Marriage Allowance so that my wife can transfer part of her personal tax allowance to me? This is because I am thinking that it is not listed on one of the public funds. Please kindly advise. Thank you very much.
Posted Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:27:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Yes your wife can submit a claim, provided your income is not subject to higher rate tax and your wife does not use all of her personal allownce.  

Please have a look at the guidance at Marriage Allowance.  

Please note that it would need to be your wife who makes the claim, as she has to agree to transfer the allowance to you.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.