Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:54:07 GMT by
I completed my self assessment as requested due to earning above child benefit threshold. I had to do this last November for 21-22 and my tax code was changed, December to March i paid a large amount of extra tax to clear what I owed. I've since completed 22-23 self assessment for same scenario. Entered my salary details from P60, P111D details and the child benefit value I was paid. Got to the end and says HMRC owe me a refund. So I called and spoke to an advisor as my tax code for 23-24 was negative due to me owing for previous year, but I didn't owe anything. Couldn't put me through to self assessment as it's closed until September. I've since logged back in and self assessment now says I owe £50 balancing payment, although they've not made any changes to my return. So I can't request refund from within the app as it says I owe money. Do I really have to wait until September to be able to speak to somebody?
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 11:43:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi obwales,

If you click on the 'ask HMRC online' link you can raise this query through webchat if there are advisers available.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.