Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 13:46:25 GMT by Morgan21 Murdoch
Hello, We are looking for a bit of help in reporting the sale of our property in the UK. We purchased the house on 31st October 1991, it was our main residence until 28th June 2008, we then moved to France, making our term of residency 16 years and 8 months. We sold the house on 26th May 2022. Are we entitled to claim any relief for the period the property was our main residence? If we are entitled to do so, is there a simple calculation? We are aware that we are only due CGT on any gain from April 2015. Many thanks.
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:47:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

Please refer to guidance at -

Tell HMRC about Capital Gains Tax on UK property or land if you’re non-resident

and in particular the HS283 that refers to private residence relief.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 Jun 2022 15:45:17 GMT by Morgan21 Murdoch
Thank you. We have read the notes and feel we are going round in circles. Are you able to let us know, one way or the other, if we would be entitled to this relief? Any help you can give would be very much appreciated. Thank you once again.
Posted Fri, 01 Jul 2022 12:03:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 28

Yes you would qualify for relief, but HMRC cannot tell you the amount.

Please refer to HS283 to work out the relief due.

Private Residence Relief (Self Assessment helpsheet HS283)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.